Monday, December 22, 2014

Faux Pas

If I were French my middle name would have to be faux pas. There are time when I can do the dumbest things possible. I was asked to take photographs at the studios holiday party last Saturday. I told them that I was a lousy event photographer then did my best to prove that. But the pièce de résistance occurred after the party. I thought I marked all of the photographs to be uploaded to my computer and without checking formatted the disc. Well, as you might have guessed I only marked a very few, maybe like three or four. The rest, all gone.

Well, I borrowed a SD card from Alcy for the shoot in Richmond so that I would not overwrite anything on the card I had used. I was a little slow getting to the studio today but when I did I researched recovery software and took a shot in the dark at a free software called Recuva. Loaded it to my computer and after installing scanned the SD Card. The first scan found nothing. The software suggested a ‘deep scan’ warning that it could take a very long time. What else did I have but time. I tried it. Took just under an hour because it was scanning a single 32gb card rather than a multi-terabyte hard drive. Didn’t work. Nothing, nada. But I’ve got this poof theory that says not to sweat the small stuff, at some point everything is going to work out sorta magically—always does. Remembering my poof theory I decided to do it again. This time it did work. Found every single file and they are all in excellent condition. So, at this point I would recommend that having Recuva on your computer is not a bad idea, but then again your middle name might not be faux pas.

No comments:

Post a Comment