Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thoughts on an Image, Concepcion

I would like to share some thoughts on one of the photographs in the Spanish Mission book.

This was shot in Mission Concepcion. It is one of several that I did on this same theme, the warmth and security inside of the church against the coldness outside the church.

Maybe the theme is not nailed down that tightly but I shot several of the photographs using tungsten white balance and letting the daylight coming in from outside go blue. This is one of two that I shot with the chandelier against the blue, the light against the cold darkness.

I also like how the photograph above has a suggestion of an egg shape in the center which brings into play thoughts of the beginning of life, the renewal of life and also the perfectness of the egg in giving protection to fragile life.

I loved the way the warmth and the coldness played against each other in many of the photographs. I do not know that others can see this connection, I hope so.

Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth First John 2:8

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoy reading how you define your work, your techniques your views... makes reading this a lesson as well as a journey into the mind of the photographer. well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with Photo Paul's comments about how you express your thoughts - both in words and through the lens of your camera. I especially like the use of 1 John 2:8 and it makes me look even more forward to celebrating His resurrection soon!

    Lastly, I really enjoy all your shots of Janet. Your love for her is very evident in every one of them. Keep up the beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete