Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Music

We have a club print competition coming up shortly that has an assigned category of Music, how do you capture in a photograph how music makes you feel. I grew up with Country and Western, I also like gospel, rock and roll, big bands and classical. I may make a few more attempts before the competition.


I'm a Honky Tonk Man and I can't seem to stop - I love to give the girls a whirl to the music of an old jukebox....




Saturday Night, The Lights Are Shinning Bright, I'm a real live wire and a hunk of fire on Saturday Night...

 Of course it all began with 50's rock and roll and the Miller Brother's Corral or as it was better known, the M-B Corral. I think of a honky tonk as a relative small dark and really loud, dive outside the city limits that is half dance hall and half imagined brothel--okay not the ladies of the night type of brothel, well except some times. Even if you took your wife you expected the night to end really well.

The M-B was on the edge of town, well it was between town and the military base. It was, too big and not as dark or as loud at it should have been for a true honky tonk but the music made it want it really wasn't. I have fond memories of honky tonks, I have very fond memories of M-B Corral. Six days a week it was without question C&W with Loretta Lynn and Conway Twitty types but on Friday night it was the likes of Tina Turner, Bo Diddley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Paul Revere and the Raiders and even Elvis played the M-B Corral. Pretty top stuff for a country boy. I thought if I didn't make the sock hop at the M-B every Friday night that life might actually come to an end.

I think I might actually hold one record at the M-B--I took my dad and step mother along on a date to the M-B. It wasn't their cup of tea but I may be on the only kid that ever took his parents there on a Friday night.

Don't hang out in those kind of places much anymore but wouldn't take anything for the days when I did. The Redneck Country Club just opened in Sugarland and if anyone out there is trying to come up with something to get me for Christmas I sure would like a membership. I really miss how you feel in a honky tonk; then again that may be more age than location. Maybe I won't have to do more photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment