Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Laugh

I have always said that making Janet laugh was one of my purposes in life. When we first met, me being from the country and Janet having lived her life in the city, the best laughs frequently came when I feigned the role of the country bumpkin, of course minimal feigning was required, I was and still am. Just being me worked pretty good. I blushed easily and nothing made Janet happier than embarrassing the living daylights out of me which she did on a regular basis. Since then, it has not mattered, the country bumpkin, the fool, the clown, the court jester, the straight man or the fall guy—whatever worked has been my preferred lot.

For some time now I have had among my repertoire a phrase that used to work pretty good when she was being cantankerous or difficult, “I’m gona grab you by the ying yang and you’re just gona go flippedy flop flippedy flop.” This is usually accompanied with a rolling circular hand motion that parodied her flipping head over heels out the window and across the back yard.

This morning as I was finally getting her to bed at 8am I sit down on the bed to take off my shoes. When I turned my back to her, Janet yelled out. Sometimes she does that because it is her only means of protest but sometimes she does it I think for the same reason that I tell her I am going to grab her by the ying yang, just to get my attention. When she yelled I told her, “Yeah, that’s what you say now but wait till you get up. I’m going to grab you by the ying yang and let’s see what you have to say then.” I paused and realized that in all the years I have been saying that I have no idea what a ying yang is so I added, “I don’t know where your ying yang is but I’m gona buy me a book and find out.” She laughed. Probably the first time in days. Of course, who can blame her, after thirty five years I’m sure my jokes are all a little stale.

I was pleased to know that I still can occasionally get a laugh out of her. I was also very pleased to once again confirm that I am married to a woman who in spite of all the adversity she has suffered in this life still has the spirit to laugh. That is the Janet I have been privileged to know and share a life with. As I mention every night, and frequently during the day, she is my blessing.

I am also way behind on posting my McDonald’s Portraits of Janet, none of which have been taken at McDonald’s recently. Anyway, here are three recent ones.
It looks like that maybe I should sit on the other side every once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment