Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Politics and Family

Well, today is election day. My political interests have waned in the last several years but come this evening I will probably be as elated or as depressed as I have been after any election. Again, I will go to the polls to cast a vote for the one that will lose.

I see on Facebook that my cousin is going to retire the 20th of this month and start three new businesses. What is it about the word “retire” that he does not understand? I’m having more fun being unemployed and if that is what retirement is, it ain’t for me.

Got to spend two hours with my brother on his trip to Houston this past week. He doesn’t understand retirement either. How could I have grown up in such a family?

Well, back to the election. Get up Woodard, get dressed and mosey over to the polling place.

ADDENDUM: All is well. I lost my mayoral vote but I knew that was pretty certain. The only four amendments to the Texas Constitution that I was interested in passed and nationally it is encouraging. Bring it on 2010.

3 comments:

  1. Just got back from the polling place. It always feels good to do my civic duty, regardless of the outcome. Of course it feels much better if my votes are on the winning side. ;-)

    I think some people use the word "retirement" rather loosely. They should call it their second (or third) career. Some people honestly don't know what to do with themselves if they aren't working. It takes all kinds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cousin bought in Flower Mound before it was the yuppie area it is now so they have two acres with greenhouse and a pond. He graduated with a degree in fine arts so he is going back to painting and has a company set up to sell the paintings, is going to propagate plants for local nurseries and has a landscape design business in addition to being on the park board and helping in the designing of the new botanical gardens. That to me does not sound like retirement. I guess my chasing the dollar gene came up missing. Either that of I learned long ago that people just stay out of the hair of the poor relations. LOL He does give me credit for launching him on an art career so I guess I can live vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like he just likes to stay busy...and do things he enjoys...and make a little money at the same time. A great combo if he can be happy doing all 3 at the same time!

    ReplyDelete