Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Christopher's Gargoyle


I hope it is okay if I brag just a little. Janet and I had lunch today with my great nephew Christopher Stockwell and his wife Katie. They are both into photography and Christopher is into art. If I weren't so darn proud of both of them I would be considerably envious of the talent they both have at such a young age.

I had not seen Christopher since he was probably preschool until December of 2007 when they were able to attend my brother Dale's surprise 80th birthday party in Wichita Falls. Dale is Christopher's grandfather. I learned that Christopher was back living in Houston and got a chance to meet Katie. Ever since we have periodically been talking about getting together for lunch and it only took sixteen months to work it out, but the wait was worth it. Hopefully it won't be sixteen months before we have lunch again.

In 2007 I learned that Christopher was an artist when I saw a photograph of a chalk drawing he had done of a gargoyle. I was blown away with the drawing. Well, today Christopher gave me the drawing and I am so proud of it. I have been on the internet most of the afternoon looking for the proper frame which I consider to be a wide flat matte black museum mount as pictured above. The image will be 20"x22" with a 4" mat. With the 2 1/4" inch frame it will be 32 1/2 x 34 1/2 over all. That should be pretty impressive. You can be sure I will hang it somewhere that I can admire it frequently. I have checked with Christopher to be sure that he agrees with the choice of mat and frame. I think I have picked a spot where we have two Ancel Adams photographs hanging, but I will have to do it when Janet is not looking because they belong to her. After a day or so she will forget the Adams photos were there and I'll be set.

Anyway, today, instead of posting one of my photographs I am posting a snap of Christopher's Gargoyle (well, technically now it is my gargoyle and I did take the snap.) I just snapped this off the cuff to see how it would look framed as I propose to do it. It is not color corrected and the background is much warmer than it appears here. I also did not correct for perspective but you can get the idea. And you can see why I am so proud of the gift. I knew I couldn't be the only family member with artistic talent. LOL Thank you Christopher and Katie.

I did get around to doing one photograph. I started a washing and forgot to close the top of the washer so it soaked for an hour or so and now I have to wait for everything to dry, so I spent the time taking a photograph of the martini glass. Yeah, I know martinis are not red but that was the only color food coloring I could find in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment