Friday, April 4, 2008

Entropy: The Last Hit of the Game

April 4th, Last Hit of the Game

I found this baseball, or what is left of this baseball, in my backyard while cutting grass. No telling how long it had been there (I don't cut grass all that often.) I hung on to it although I had no idea why. I just liked the texture.

When the Entropy challenge came up I knew exactly what I wanted to use it for, Blakley's last hit of the game in Thayer's poem Casey at the Bat; "...But Flynn let fly a single to the wonderment of all, And the much despised Blakley tore the cover off the ball..." For that I needed an empty baseball diamond.

Yesterday,Janet and I drove over to a park near the house that has several diamonds and I picked out this one as having the most potential. I planned out two shots, one in the empty stands and one on the ground in the outfield along the first base line. Today it rained. But that was okay. A few zip lock baggies for the flash and the PocketWizards and I still got the photo in the stands. However, it required a second trip since I didn’t like my first effort. The longer I was there it harder it rained so I got a little rushed. There is this rumor going around Houston that if I get wet I will melt because I am so sweet, but that was not the case. Rather then lying in the mud I saved the other for another day.

Nikon D200, Tokina 12-24mm at 24mm, ISO 100, f/8 @ 1/125, 0 EV, WB 2800, Nikon SB800 with full CTO gel high to camera right on full power. PP in Nikon Capture NX and PSP.

1 comment: