Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Graffiti Shoot

Went on a graffiti shoot with Houston Photowalks this past weekend. We met at Graffiti's on Washington for lunch before the shoot. Alcy and I concentrated mostly on the area around the 2400 block of Leeland. We have shot there several times in the past but the entire block has been repainted for a Houston Whatever Festival in a couple of weeks.

 
One of the graffiti was a take off on the recent wings sculpture at Discovery Green. I thought the marks on the asphalt telling the photographer where to stand was an interesting take.


This painting of the marine and eagle was probably my favorite image of the day. After the fact I am not sure that I won't go back and retake the photo. I do not have any idea how long it has been since the painting of the wall but someone has chosen to deface this single image. I think that plays interestingly with the intensity and determination of the eyes of both the marine and the eagle.

I often try to include the comments of the graffiti artists because I am always looking for content as much as documentation. The photo of the marine and the eagle was the strongest commentary of the day. 














At breakfast was reading a book by John Loengrad. John is not high on 'quote list' but he has a lot of important things to say about photography...
 
"Photographers may be concerned, conceptual, confrontational, candid, casual, constructing but what is important is that they have A POINT OF VIEW."

No comments:

Post a Comment