Thursday, November 5, 2015

Mardi Gras World

Photographing in Mardi Gras World is an exercise in organizing chaos--my kind of world. This is an exaggerated world of fantasy and imagination so I first wanted to work with color--exaggerated color. Part of it is simply documentation of the remnants of past floats but a part of it is finding story through juxtapositioning. Both were a worthwhile challenge.

The objects being photographed are large so that means that the camera is pointed up and the ceiling was full of very unattractive windows. It was a challenge in shooting to avoid the windows as much as possible. Then the challenge became concealing the windows during processing.

Where is it that we put things in photographs that we do not want to viewer to see? In the most important color in a color photograph--the black. My photographs always have a lot of black because I think black is the most important color and because black is great at concealing what I don't want the viewer to see.

ADDENDUM: Since I shared my philosophy on black I might as well share one other philosophy--photography is the art of EXCLUSION. The world is full of chaos and it all doesn't belong in the photograph. A successful photograph depends every bit as much on what is left OUT as it does on what is left in. If it isn't working toward the success of the image it behooves the photographer to do everything within his power to removed it, preferably during shooting but when that is not possible--during processing. If it can't be removed at least make it less prominent. 







Oh my, what a big blowhard!
Yummmmmy,chef for the tummmy

Duck Ă  l’Orange for Dinner
That is why I don't own a V-neck






3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you focused in on the subjects to capture the mood, color and uniqueness of the event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kaaren, thank you. Sometimes my 'pointing' get a little too obvious but I think it is necessary to make sure the viewer sees what I want them to see. BTW I messed up the captions yesterday and didn't have internet at the studio so I just got them fixed--just a little Woodard humor.

    ReplyDelete