Monday, July 27, 2015

Not TooI Happy Camper

As I have been warning everyone, as of next week I will have a new Internet service and ATT will be gone—home phone and all. My hate relationship with ATT will finally come to an end.

The new service threw in a tablet. Now as most know my ‘teckie’ life came to an end ten years ago when Enovation closed the Houston office. Now there was a day when I could fumble through machine code, handle Edlin with ease, was very comfortable with PEEK and POKE and became pretty proficient in GWBasic, ATT’s answer to MS-Dos. And even ten years ago I could handle Visual Basic for Applications quite handily—but now I do not even want a smart phone. Those days are in the past.

When Verison threw in a tablet I have no earthly idea why I thought it was a good idea. I am struggling deciphering the stupid icons, finding where I need to be except by accident. Can’t figure out why it can’t remember a few basic things like my email address which I must have inserted dozens and dozens of times. Yeah, it was my fault. The one thing I have always liked about writing code is that if it doesn’t work or gives me the wrong answer I know for sure that it is my fault, not the machines. I actually like that because it is much easier to solve a problem if you know the source of the problem. So yes, most of my frustration is self-inflected but having cryptic icons with no explanations doesn’t help.

I was trying to set up my email account and most of my passwords were entered many years ago, all related notes is long lost and at my age remembering to zip up taxes my mental capacities. I am having to enter many things multiple times because I have to try passwords that I have used over the years in hopes that one might be correct. Finally after the umpteenth time, out of frustration at “the account number or the password does not match etc, etc,” I blurted out, “I don’t want to enter another dumb s(feces expletive) password.” In the process I must have hit the microphone key because the Google search screen popped up. When I saw it was searching for “dumb s**** password.” Alcy and I both rolled in the isle laughing. It was more politically correct than I had been and entered the asterisks.

No comments:

Post a Comment