Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Kenny Jack Alexander's Conoco Station

I have to get up by 5:30am in the morning for a photoshoot so I really should be in bed rather than sitting here posting to the blog, but this is more fun than sleeping.

I spent a good deal of time today manipulating photographs. I guess you could say that it goes a little beyond simple manipulation. Anyway, I enjoy it so I do it.
 

 This is a photograph of a service station, we called them filling stations, in my home town that I shot in June when I went back for the high school reunion. I gave it a title Kenny Jack Alexander’s Conoco Station, Avenue D at Main Street. In truth, I do not know if this was the service station that Kenny’s father owned. I actually remember Alexander’s station being across the street from this one. This station has obviously been there for a very long time and I don’t really remember another station on the corner of Avenue D and Main Street other than the Alexander’s station. But that’s going back over half a century and we all know that memory is not that reliable. I also do not know if Kenny actually followed in his father’s footsteps and operated the station. Regardless, I like to think that this is the Alexander’s station and I like to think that Kenny did settle in Burk and run it. Don’t know that is really important, just seems to me to be a proper course of events.

I do know that is the Lutheran Church behind the station. I remember that for sure because I believe that at one time or the other I attended every church in town with my grandfather—he loved to go to revivals. Well, every church except the Lutheran. Never went to the Lutheran church. Maybe they didn’t have tent revivals.

No comments:

Post a Comment