Saturday, April 7, 2012

Miller's Theatre, Navasota, Texas

I have a considerable affection for small Texas towns. I always find something that brings back memories of Burkburnett in the 1940’s and 50’s.
In March of 2011 the Northwest Houston Camera Club scheduled a photoshoot at the Texas Independence Day celebration at the birthplace of the Nation of Texas, Washington-on-the-Brazos. After the shoot, four of us drove into Navasota for lunch. Afterwards we did a walk around during which we discovered that the wife of the City Manager, Mary Stafford, had acquired permission to refurbish and reopen the Miller Theatre. She and her husband, Brad, were painting the lobby area. They invited us in to see the auditorium.

Ever since I have wanted to get back to Navasota for a photoshoot followed by going to the Saturday movie. When I was young the dime Saturday matinee was an every Saturday affair. The Miller doesn’t have a matinee. That’s okay, at my age I’m not so sure I would enjoy a gaggle of kids, or even seeing Bill and Coo or the Three Stooges again anyway. So an evening movie seems more age appropriate. I have been back to Navasota a couple of times since, but never on Saturday.

Today, NWHPC had a scheduled photoshoot that started in Waller at 8am for breakfast and ambled up to Navasota stopping along the way to photograph bluebonnets. Debie arranged with Mary Stafford to meet at the Miller Theatre at 11am so that we could photograph inside. I didn’t take any photograph of the outside today but I will try to find one or two from previous trips to add to the inside shots from today.

Just want to say how much we appreciate Brad and Mary giving us the opportunity to shoot inside the theatre again.

Additional photos can be found at Wildflowers and Navasota Too Album.











No comments:

Post a Comment