I have added my next to last lens to the Nikon collection, a 105mm f/2.8 VR macro (still need the 24-70mm to fill the gap between the 17-35mm and the 70-200mm. I should have added a macro a long time ago but I couldn’t make up my mind if I wanted the 105mm or the 60mm. It was delivered last night just before I was to leave for a Houston Photography Meetup meeting. I quickly snapped a few photos around the house and took it to the meeting where I took a photograph of the lady sitting across from me.
Thursday I set up a table top to photograph a strawberry then walked around the backyard looking for possibilities. There were no white Magnolia blossoms down low but there are a couple that will be opening shortly so I will keep an eye on them. I got a lot of throwaways but I did get a couple of photos today that I liked.
This photograph of Janet were among the first shots with the new lens. I shot these before I took off for the meeting.
Below is the photograph of Diana that I shot at the Photography meeting. The assignment for the month was Bokeh (which I keep calling brokeh and misspelling.) Bokehis the blur, or the aesthetic quality of the blur, in out-of-focus areas of an image according to Wikipedia. Anyway, I noticed the light fixture behind Diana and thought it would be a good test of the bokeh of the 105mm. She agreed to the photo and I shot only the one.
Of what I have done so far, the shot of the strawberries is my favorite. I had to make a grocery run this morning and while I was there I noticed that they had a good price on strawberries. Janet used to love strawberries but the last year or so I have had trouble getting her to eat them. I thought I would give it one more try and it would give me an editable model--hey, I can eat strawberries! I think I will start a series called the Editable Model, doing shots of food.I don't think right now that it will be food photography. That sounds too complicated--just shots of things that you can eat. May or may not. I've got a lot of projects already hanging so we'll see. I also got some blueberries and I might work them into the Editable Model theme.
After I tired of shooting strawberries I went out to see if there were any Magnolia blossoms. There were but none low enough that I could shoot so I took a few photographs of the pods from the spent blossoms and got one that I liked.