Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Grand Experiment

Tonight was the first trial of having a sitter come in for Janet. I have had the lady from across the street keep an eye on the house before but we recently struck a deal where she will come over and sit with Janet three or four times a month. A few days ago I was on the phone with her when she got a second call and I overheard that she was cutting out a weekly activity that she enjoyed because of finances. That gave me the opportunity to ask her if we could work something out. Even though I had considered talking to her for some time I saw it as a one way propersition for my benefit. Realizing that maybe by paying her to sit I could do something in return that would allow her to continue her activity. She seem thrilled with the opportunity.

Two of the times will be on the first and third Tuesdays so I can go to camera club and this was the first Tuesday. Instead of the camera club I went to Willowbrook Mall because I need an eye examine for new glasses. Unfortunately they closed at 7pm so I will have to go back during the day.

I was concerned that things might not go well but I think both Janet and Marie enjoyed the experience and that was a great relief. I got home much earlier than I would have if I had gone to the club meeting but I think that was good since this was the first time. Anyway, I am extremely pleased. Marie works 9 to 5 so she can only sit in the evenings but it will occasionally give me an opportunity to get out without worrying. Janet gets so little socialization and I think she really enjoyed having someone other than me around.

There is no way that Marie can understand how much it means to me for the three or four hours this is going to give me. Tonight I was a fish out of water worrying about how they would get along but after talking to Marie I think she actually enjoyed it and I think Janet did also. I may even be able to schedule some blog activities on the regular scheduled Tuesdays. And as a side effect, it may give me some incentive to do some house cleaning that I so often procrastinate doing. It went well.

No comments:

Post a Comment