Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas Day 2009


As usual since Janet has her days and nights mixed up, I spent from 2pm till 4pm trying to wake her up enough to get her bathed and dressed to go out to eat. I even resorted to getting the boat horn out of the garage--the one we used to get the drawbridge opened at Kemah--which will tell you how long it has been unused as well as how loud it is. Didn’t get any reaction beyond a very evil look.

On the way to Denny's we tuned into a Christmas program on the radio for a reading of the Littlest Angel that I think she enjoyed. Then as we were leaving the restaurant, the story of Handle’s Messiah was on. That I know she enjoyed--the meal in between, neither one of us enjoyed all that much. I asked her if she had ever sang the Messiah and she said she had. I know she enjoyed the music.

For the first time in a very long time the service on Christmas Day was really bad. Our waiter's main attribute was his ability to hide. And for the first time in a very long time I got up and carried my coffee cup to the counter for a refill. For poor service I tend to get obnoxious and start subtracting from 20%. So, I broke my Christmas tradition on the tip--he got 20% only because I could not bring myself to be a total curmudgeon on Christmas Day--10% would have been much more in keeping with the service or maybe 5%.

We drove around afterwards through River Oaks to look at the Christmas lights but you know something, those rich folks decorations weren’t nearly as spectacular as the Lights in the Heights. Hey, or even some in our neighborhood. And I thought I was a Bah Humbuger. It’s the economy, maybe. Or could be they are all those dastardly rich Republicans I keep hearing about.

In all, it was a quiet and peaceful day. I hope everyone else had the same—that is, if that is what they wanted. It wasn’t a deserted beach at Matagorda or even a foggy day in Galveston, but it was a pleasant day—that is after I got Janet woke up and it got a little quieter around here. Even the neighbors agree on that. LOL

3 comments:

  1. I'm surprised Janet would go anywhere with you after being waked up by a boat horn!! Glad to hear that the rest of your Christmas was peaceful. I enjoyed reading your

    Our kids just left this morning. Took lots of photos (of course) of the grandbaby. I had secretly hoped that Santa would take a hint for a new camera, but guess he didn't get a chance to stop by Nikon before he loaded up his sleigh. Sigh... BUT it was still a most wonderful Christmas getting to be with my family, or at least one of our daughters. We're leaving in the morning for a belated Christmas with our other daughter in FW (they had 3 inches of snow on Christmas!), see my sister who is ill and also my middle sister who drove in from GA today. And last but not least Ronnie's mom in Athens.

    Hopefully the blog will come back to life once everyone has had a chance to recover from the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan, the boat horn was sheer desparation--it didn't work--she can sleep through it. I'm at my wits end with the sleeping arrangements.

    I need some young friends to I can find out where to score some uppers. Get her jumping at about 8am and I might get some sleep. LOL

    Glad you had a great Christmas and of course look forward to see the photos. Be careful on the roads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gary, just checked the blog and found your reply - I really am getting frustrated with not getting blog notifications any more. I can't imagine how or why any of my settings would have been changed and just don't understand why my notifications are so random (and seldom). I've also not been receiving notifications from the myfamily.com website which I have been active on. Those stopped probably about the same time the photo blog notifications stopped. Makes me wonder if it's a problem with my computer...however I don't think I'm the only one not receiving all the photo blog notifications. ARGH@#!!

    Back to Janet - I'll make the same suggestion to you that I made to my daughter and her new baby. Which is basically, if you can't lick 'em, join 'em. Sleep when they sleep. If you have to turn your days and nights around, do it! Of course I realize this advice is easier said than done.

    We're in FW but the temp is very low and it looks like ice will be coming tomorrow. We are headed to Arlington this a.m. to visit my family. We had planned to return on the 30th but in light of the weather situation, I think we will head south early in the morning. Neither of us want to get iced in up here.

    Don't know that I will post any photos from Christmas, as they all fit into the "grandmother" category. ;-)

    Oops! Just realized when I previewed this message that it is coming from Ronnie. I'm using his laptop and I guess it logged me in under his blog site. I forgot to turn off my computer at home so can't check my own mail remotely. I will go ahead and send anyway.

    ReplyDelete