Friday, November 6, 2009

Photographing the Reluctant Model

There is no more posing with Janet. Turn your head, look at me, sit up straight all instructions, requests, pleads fall on deaf ears. I can only hope to snap at a time that is not too bad. Then there are the times when she simply does not want to play. I did. I had a new studio light and I wanted to at least develop some familiarity with it.

I put on the 86” umbrella but I knew that was a disaster waiting to happen when, not if, she decided to take off so I went with the 7” reflector and direct light. I propped up a 42” silver reflector to camera right to pick up a little light in the shadows. I think that if I move the bedroom set into the garage and remove all the inside walls in the bedrooms I might be able to use the new light with the umbrella at home. I forgot the ceiling. Oh well, that's got to go also. Fortunately I have several smaller umbrellas and a couple of Octoboxes or Bollies that I can use. I think this shot was at the very lowest setting at max sync speed and f/13 after I moved the light back as far as I could get it. LOL Next time Woodard, get the smallest one not the largest one. Well I have a friend with a couple of smaller lights for sale. Tonight made them look more inticing. Now to start collecting modifiers. I did get the barn doors for the 7” reflector and the special reflector for use with the large umbrella. Grids and gels make me drool.

Why, oh why did Buff decide to use a RJ11 connection for the remote module??? Surely that it not conventional with studio lights. The sync cord uses a 1/4" jack plug (why not a 1/8") and somewhere around here I have at least one ¼” to 1/8” adapter so I can hopefully use the Pocket Wizards in the sync jack. Using a wired connection has as much potential for disaster as the 86” umbrella in my living room.

BTW: this was the pleasant face—you should have seen the others. I’m afraid to post them because with the bruise from her fall family services would be knocking on the door before I would wake up in the morning. You would have thought I was bashing her over the head with the D700. Oh, heck, why not. Nahhhh.

Yes, I am aware that my photo friends are not gong to like the placement of the head in the frame. Sometimes I just like this placement, especially when Janet in not the the best of moods--maybe it is my attempt at revenge--cut her down to size and stick her in a corner. I like the play between the oval head and the rectangular glass door on the secretary with the things she collected behind the glass. And yes, I changed the color of the wall. My photogs are not done until I say they are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment