Saturday, May 16, 2009

NWHPC Field Trip to Armand Bayou

Janet and I went with the NWHPC group for the May field trip to Armand Bayou Nature Center. I had one simple thing in mind. I had been discussing Miksang Contenplative photography on the Discussion Blog and I wanted to see if I could tune into the concept. Obviously I didn't. I have never gone on a field trip and came back with only one photograph that I was willing to show anyone, before.

Truthfully, this is my kind of "nature photography." This rat snake was inside a glass enclosure inside an air-conditioned building. That may be why I only came back with one photograph.

Well, here is one more snake picture. This one was outdoors and me thinks he is very cunning. Actually there were two of them right together parked just below the sign on the walkway that told about the Cottonmouth (Water Moccasin) and I think most people assumed that they were. I have my doubts because the pupils of the eyes are definitely round. I tried to find information on an all black water snake but from what I saw there are three possibilities; the Northern Black Water Snake; the Indigo Snake and the Black Pine Snake. However, none of the three are shown to be native to this area. There is a possibility that it is a Black Racer but even though they swim (all snakes can) they are mostly land snakes. So I am just calling it generically a black water snake.

These two snakes were near the sign as we went out the trail and about an hour or so later they were still in the same area as Janet and I returned to the entrance. Which leads me to believe that it is very unlikely that they are Black Racers.

Everyone else went ahead and made the loop but the trail was gravel and it would have beat the life out of Janet in the chair, plus making it more difficult for me to push so we turned back at the end of the board walk.

The one thing I learned, okay two things, one I do not have a lens long enough for nature photography and I left not only my longest lens the 300mm at home but I also left the 1.7 extender. Both of which would have been great to have. Second, I learned that I am in great need of a macro lens. Everything I wanted to photograph was either too far away or two darn close.

No comments:

Post a Comment