Monday, May 11, 2009

Another Denny's Portrait of Janet

Still not doing much photographically so this is more of a ramble than a rant or a rave. Been a little out of it since Janet's hospital stay. I am trying to learn new skills and my continuing struggle with patience.

As noted in last post, I have made the first meager steps toward a couple of long considered projects, plus have to shoot a self portrait for the discussion blog, which seems to have run out of steam. Probably my fault since I am out of steam.

[side note: One of the new projects, the $2 Portrait is based on giving everyone that asks me for money two dollars but only if they will sit for a portrait. On the way home from Denny's I slipped a panhandler at a stop light five bucks and never once thought about asking for the portrait, so that project got off to an ominous start.]

Had a disappointing dinner. Janet and I live in a lower income neighborhood and there are few places convenient to eat out except fast food and barbeque. The one close Denny's frequently is our option. On our last visit a few days ago was the first time that I ever recall tipping less then fifteen percent at any Denny's. [That is why I could afford five bucks for a panhandler.] I usually tip considerably more because the service there has been excellent for the past two years.

I am extremely particular about my eggs, which is the reason I eat at Denny's. The cook there has always been able to do Over Medium Well. I won't explain why I cannot eat an egg that has runny whites nor even why I dislike well cooked yokes. I can take a raw egg without any difficulty, but don't put it in a frying pan and then serve it to me if the whites are not done. It is suffice to say that both are very important to my enjoyment of the meal.

On our previous visit they came out medium, whites runny. On returning them they came out well. That might well be the cook's idea of medium well but it sure is not mine. We were not served water nor did we receive extra napkins, both of which have always been standard. And once the waitress served that was the last we saw of her for a long time. Janet had finished eating before I got her attention to return the eggs.

Tonight I again explained in detail how I wanted my eggs emphasizing that the whites must be done, that is an absolute, and that the yokes should be runny. The whites were done but three of the four yokes were well done. We did get napkins but had to ask for water and retrieve our own silverware from another table. Since I consider the waitress or waiter to be my liaison with the kitchen, even though they do not cook the eggs, they are privy to my adamant request and should be able to tell whether or not the request was met prior to serving the eggs. So I hold the waitress somewhat accountable when the order is far from being correct. That added to really poor service on the previous trip lead to the minimal tip, it was more than a penny but assuredly less than fifteen present.

[side note: Many years ago, shortly after Janet and I married there was a book review of How Not To Be A Wimp in the Houston Chronicle. Janet thought it was funny so she read me the review. Since then she has frequently commented that she is extremely glad that she never bought me the book. Just the pointers from the review had caused her enough embarrassment. I see it as having personally spent many years on the other side of the counter and having been responsible for the counter help at L H Kelley that I pretty much refuse to accept lousy service under any situation. The review was just affirmation.]

Tonight the eggs were wrong but the service was not as lacking so I made sure that the tip was the full but did not exceed fifteen percent. There is always an upside to lousy service; it doesn’t cost me as much to eat out. I always try to look for the positive.

Since on these two trips I did not see any of the personnel that have been at that location for the past two years I inquired about a change of management. I was told that the management had changed and that it would be changing every month in the future. Since that has not been the case in the past I wanted to ask the cashier, who seemed to be in charge, why, but she had a cell phone glued to her ear. I am assuming that they are using this location as a training facility or something of that nature. I did learn that the previous staff has been transferred to Beltway 8 and Wilson Road. I am not sure where that is and was unable to find such a listing on the Denny's location finder. I am sure that it is farther away than I wish to travel. So now I am without a convenient place to eat out. There is a Denny's a little farther out I45 that I will try and one on I10 which has always been good. Neither are convenient but a better alternative than getting such lousy service.

We did sit at a different table tonight so that Janet was facing the window. The lighting was great and I shot a half dozen photographs with the 85mm f/1.4 that were reasonably acceptable. So the evening was not a total loss.

The AARP magazine received today had a pretty good article on reducing stress with a call out listing nine steps that I am going to cut out an pin to my bulletin board in the computer room. Will I follow any of them? Probably not. The first step was to stay connected to friends and family. That's a tall order for a recluse. Then there was pursuing a hobby or something you enjoy. I like that one except when I am in a blue funk and then even that is difficult.

Well, tomorrow is another day. Maybe I will do better on the $2 Portrait, might even begin the 100 Strangers and who knows I might do a self portrait which I presently have four to five ideas lined out. And I still want to get out to Mercer for some off camera flash shots. Of course what I really need is a ringlight or the Nikon R1 Wireless Closeup Light Unit. Oh, well.

People always seem to have big philosophical questions. I am no exception. However, I do not necessarily wish to know the meaning of life but I sure would like to know how to get others to see photography even somewhat as I see it. That has been a lifetime struggle and I am no where close to an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment