Friday, March 21, 2008

Another window light portrait of Janet that I love. I told her that she would make a really good rich woman because she has this natural posture of condescension. Even though the crumpled tee-shirt and her security blanket sweat jacket that she cut the sleeves off of and refuses to part with sort of takes it down a notch or two.

Janet is the most down to earth, least arrogant person you will ever meet in spite of her natural posture. This photograph captures that aspect of Janet that I have over the years come to accept and admire--Janet is Janet pure and simple. In thirty years of marriage I have never heard Janet express the least bit of envy for those more fortunate than she, nor the least self-pity for her own misfortunes. She is simply a remarkably strong person.

The photograph is a little soft but I like that. Shot with the D200, 50mm f/1.4, at 1/15 sec @ f/4.5, handheld. Conversion in Capture NX.

3 comments:

  1. You really sound like you love her. I must tell you, and I know i said it before but, your work is great. This is such a wonderful portrait of Janet. So proud, such great lighting, colors it is just perfect. I have so far to go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary,
    Your blog and images are great. You are a master! Paul is so lucky to have you in his life. Love the chiaroscuro lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul and Joyce, thank you both. I still have a difficult time accepting that other people find my photographs that interesting, but I still love hearing it.

    And, yes, Paul, I’m kinda flipped out over my lady. Have been for a very long time.

    BTW: I just discovered Joyce’s blog and I want them all!!!!! I manipulate photographs because I cannot paint like that. I absolutely love your work. I am afraid that I look at paintings the same way I look at photographs and find the brush strokes as interesting as the painting

    ReplyDelete