i'm curious why you chose that particular crop on the blue ball - almost in center but slightly off? just to make me crazy?? seriously, i want to know.
Fair question so I'll try to answer it. First I have a new camera that allows me to change the aspect ratio of my images in camera. I learned long ago that I tend to photograph to the aspect ratio and this allows me to see the shape of the different ratios through the viewfinder. Second, I love the square and this camera gives me a 1:1 option--the primary reason for the purchase. The square says that neither width or height is more important, they are equal--which works pretty nicely for a round subject matter. As you may know I do not have any qualms about placing my subject matter in the center of the frame. As much as we are admonished about doing that in camera clubs it is the proper place for the subject matter when you want the viewer to zero in on a specific object. It says that the subject matter is like the bullseye, that's what is important in this image. Moving the subject matter off center is for the purpose of moving the eye of the viewer around the image to create relationships between the various objects included. In this image there is nothing to see other than the ball so I didn't feel it was detrimental to center the subject. The fact it is slightly off center is simply because my eyesight is not as good as it should be and I didn't center it in the viewfinder rather than it being a conscious decision. Some people find the square boring, I don't. I learned to love it when shooting the Rollie and I am very pleased to have a camera that will allow me to use it again more frequently. With the square again available you will be seeing more of my photographs with the subject matter centered. So, no, it wasn't to make you crazy. Incidentally I am making an effort at another splinter group for reading photographs--this time face to face sit downs. Have some trepidations but looking forward to once again giving it a try.
Well, at times Blogger does send a notification and then they stop. I went through that with the Discussion Blog. Google is pretty sorry at making their sites rally functional. Recently they made some change and people on Internet Explorer couldn't post photos. I was really surprised when they got that fixed. The notification problem dates back at least two or more years so I don't suppose they will ever get that fixed.
i'm curious why you chose that particular crop on the blue ball - almost in center but slightly off? just to make me crazy?? seriously, i want to know.
ReplyDeleteFair question so I'll try to answer it. First I have a new camera that allows me to change the aspect ratio of my images in camera. I learned long ago that I tend to photograph to the aspect ratio and this allows me to see the shape of the different ratios through the viewfinder. Second, I love the square and this camera gives me a 1:1 option--the primary reason for the purchase. The square says that neither width or height is more important, they are equal--which works pretty nicely for a round subject matter. As you may know I do not have any qualms about placing my subject matter in the center of the frame. As much as we are admonished about doing that in camera clubs it is the proper place for the subject matter when you want the viewer to zero in on a specific object. It says that the subject matter is like the bullseye, that's what is important in this image. Moving the subject matter off center is for the purpose of moving the eye of the viewer around the image to create relationships between the various objects included. In this image there is nothing to see other than the ball so I didn't feel it was detrimental to center the subject. The fact it is slightly off center is simply because my eyesight is not as good as it should be and I didn't center it in the viewfinder rather than it being a conscious decision. Some people find the square boring, I don't. I learned to love it when shooting the Rollie and I am very pleased to have a camera that will allow me to use it again more frequently. With the square again available you will be seeing more of my photographs with the subject matter centered. So, no, it wasn't to make you crazy. Incidentally I am making an effort at another splinter group for reading photographs--this time face to face sit downs. Have some trepidations but looking forward to once again giving it a try.
ReplyDeletethanks for the explanation, Gary. sorry i didn't see this sooner. i don't think blogger has any way of notifying when someone replies (like FB does).
ReplyDeleteWell, at times Blogger does send a notification and then they stop. I went through that with the Discussion Blog. Google is pretty sorry at making their sites rally functional. Recently they made some change and people on Internet Explorer couldn't post photos. I was really surprised when they got that fixed. The notification problem dates back at least two or more years so I don't suppose they will ever get that fixed.
ReplyDelete