Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Cold Springs, Texas

Difficult to believe but Blogger actually got something fixed so I'm back in business. A lot has happened since the last post which I may or may not try to catch up. Anyway, today Alcy was off and we really didn't have a destination. We made a brief stop at the Social Security office in Conroe then headed east on 105. Noticed a sign for Cold Springs and decided to give it a try. I hadn't been there in probably thirty years or more. Didn't get many photographs but had a nice drive through the country. Stopped at the Cold Springs Cafe for coffee and decided to eat lunch. The baked potato was sufficient for a family of four. We finished off with a drive over to Lake Livingston State Park then headed back to Houston.
 
Sorry, I have a Janet story about the last time I was in Cold Springs, probably the only time I have ever been in Cold Springs. Janet was city raised. She did her best to adjust to my less sophisticated prior life. Not far from Cold Springs is Double Lake Park. We had not been married long and short or money we spent a lot of weekends camping out. To me that meant throwing a quilt on the ground and sleeping under the stars. I'm not exactly sure what it meant to Janet but she was willing to try it my way. At Double Lake as we did most places we tried to get away from the crowd of other campers. We found a wilderness trail and went down it a quarter mile or so and found a flat area about a hundred feet off the trail that seemed suitable to spend the night. I have no idea what time it was but Janet shook me awake. She was sitting up shaking me and saying as quietly as possible, "It's going to get us! It's going to get us!" The IT was something, actually several somethings, rooting around in the undergrowth around us. I was pretty certain that it was armadillos. I will admit that in the dead of night they did sound similar to a herd of elephants but it was nothing that was to be concerned about. I finally convinced her to lay back down but it took a great deal of talking to get her to consider going back to sleep. I am not sure that she actually did. Needless to say before the next weekend we were the proud owners of a bright blue two person backpacking tent. Never had a problem will armadillos after that.
 

 
Yes, that is really a baked potato.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment